To: keydist@cafax.se
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:57:32 -0800
Delivery-Date: Thu Jan 3 05:29:39 2002
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

A few comments on the threads so far.

Randy: it is hard for those of us who weren't around in the DNSSEC
discussion of keys and certs to know what it is you want. You said
(approximately) "this should be being done in the Security Area" and
"we should wait for the Apps area to tell us they need it". As
someone who straddles both areas, I can tell you that both
suggestions can be read as the equivalent of "this will never happen".

The PKIX WG has done a pretty lousy job of standardizing access to
certs. We have a bunch of competing methods for cert retrieval, few
of which are typically implemented in the real world. The dirty
little secret is that no one likes LDAP; even though it is the
primary cert retrieval protocol, only a small number of people in the
PKIX follows the spec.  The Apps area still doesn't understand public
key cryptography well enough to know whether we want certs or keys,
and we have gotten almost no help from the Security area other than
statements like "run it over TLS".

Everyone: you have to decide whether you want certs or keys. In
either case, you have to deal with the expected mechanism of trust.
Without that, you can't design an access protocol because you can't
tell how many round trips you will need, you can't tell whether the
user expects to get all her information from one spot or has to find
multiple certs, and so on. And you have to deal with the extremely
thorny issue of how the user trusts either a root key or a particular
key they have been handed.

Again, going to the security area for this is Very Bad Idea. They
aren't applications folks, nor do they particularly like applications
folks.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

Home | Date list | Subject list