To: Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com>
Cc: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: 04 Jan 2002 14:44:28 -0500
Delivery-Date: Fri Jan 4 20:44:33 2002
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Steve Hanna <steve.hanna@sun.com> writes:

> Fine. Can we settle the matter of keys vs. certs first? Edward
> sent out a good list of FOR and AGAINST earlier in the week.

I dont think we can.  There are some applications that use only keys,
and there are some that use only certs.  Those applications are very
happy using what they are using.  Why add complexity if it doesn't buy
them anything?  All that will happen is that those application wont
use our solution.

There is nothing that says that DNS cannot support both raw keys and
certs, and let application developers choose.  If your application
doesn't support certificates, then you're not going to get to choose
your trust anyways.

> -Steve

-derek