To: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
CC: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:42:35 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] XML Schema versioning in 4310bis

On 25/01/10 21:05, James Gould wrote:
> Bernie,
>
> I had multiple private messages associated with this, but on the list
> the only message that directly references is from me on December 8th:
>
> http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2009-12/msg00000.html
>
> [...]

Hi all,

I am currently trying to catch up (once again), and just want to point out in
this context to my mail from Dec 18th, 2009, and James' answer. Unfortunately, I
can't find James' e-mail on cafax.se, so I am quoting the respective part
instead of providing a link:

>> section 5/section 7:
>>
>> I discovered that the schema uses the same XML namespace as RFC 4310. I am not
>> familiar with the policies of XML namespaces at the IETF, but I wonder whether
>> there is a need to use a different XML namespace, since we considerably
>> changed
>> the schema (despite the fact that it should be backward compatible).
>
> Not according to the Area Director Alexey Melnikov, who replied with the following on the URI:
>
> I think just keeping namespace URIs would be fine. Your document would
> need to list all changes (including additions) since RFC 4310, so that
> would help in verifying that schema changes are backward compatible.
> If your changes end up not being backward compatible, then new namespace
> URIs can be allocated.
>
> Keeping the schema backward compatible is one of the key goals, where changing the URI itself would not make it backward compatible.

I have to admit that I missed the point regarding the greeting message. While I
think that EPP cannot live up to the expectations of an "out-of-the-box"
deployment and automatic negotiations of capabilities, as the policy differences
between the various registries are simply too large and beyond the scope of EPP,
I think it is better to change the URI just to enable the client software to
detect protocol changes and to raise an alarm if need be.

Regards,

Klaus