To: Bernie Hoeneisen <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>
CC: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:05:46 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] XML Schema versioning in 4310bis

Title: Re: [ietf-provreg] XML Schema versioning in 4310bis
Bernie,

I had multiple private messages associated with this, but on the list the only message that directly references is from me on December 8th:

http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2009-12/msg00000.html

The other indirect item is the goal of “XML schema is backward compatible”, which is included in multiple messages on the list.  Changing the URI (version number) would break this goal, since clients would be required to upgrade their clients to use the new URI, assuming that a server only supports the new draft.  The servers could support two URI’s, which is technically feasible but not simple.

There were also four versions of the draft created and sent out to the list that did not change the URI (version number), with no negative feedback.

> What are the disadvantages if the XML schema version number was changed to
> urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:secDNS-1.1 ?

  1. Clients that support 1.0 would be required to upgrade to 1.1 for servers that support 1.1.  Backward compatibility does not provide a huge benefit if the URI changes.  Client EPP SDK’s need to be upgraded to support this, where if backward compatibility is maintained the clients don’t need to do anything.
  2. Servers might have to support more then one version at a time to migrate users to the new draft.  I don’t know of any servers supporting multiple versions of anything now, so adding this requirement for a backward compatible scheme seems kind of overkill.

I don’t see a huge advantage of changing the URI, other then clarity in the EPP greeting.  Clients can start exercising the new features of the new draft when the servers supports it as an option instead of as a requirement.

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:
This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received  this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by  telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a  copy.  Thank you.