To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:34:12 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Re: EPP over HTTP or simple TCP?

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 05:58:00PM +0100, Maarten Bosteels wrote:

> We are validating incoming (and outgoing !) EPP messages using Apache
> xmlbeans
> and the time it takes is absolutely negligible.

We do some validation, IIRC, but I seem to recall that there are some
parts of the spec that the developers decided would be better caught
later in the chain. This might have been an optimisation in an effort
to avoid doing the same work twice -- there are policy rules that aren't
actually part of the XML validation, that you'd still end up having to
check for other reasons, and I think those cases are caught by the
policy rules _even if_ they're not valid according to EPP.  (It's also
possible our developers have since fixed this issue -- I'm not
involved directly in that stuff any more.  I know we did this once,
though, because we explicitly stated we weren't going to fix it.)

<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list