To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Owen Borseth" <owen@name.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:20:55 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RFC 3730 (EPP)

OK. Thank you very much. Just to clarify something on my end, in the
particular case of attempting to remove a status from a domain where
the domain does exists but the status does not exist for that domain,
would:

   2303    "Object does not exist"
   This response code MUST be returned when a server receives a command
   to query or transform an object that does not exist in the repository.

ever be a proper response code? My assumption is that this response
code would only be valid if the domain itself did not exist.

- Owen

On 1/29/07, Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:47:29AM -0700, Owen Borseth wrote:
> > In particular, what should be the proper response code to a domain
> > update command where the domain itself exists but the item being
> > updated for the domain does not exist?
>
> The general answer to this, I think, is that it is dependent on the
> case in question.  For the most part, I'd expect error codes in the
> 23xx series.  That said. . .
>
> > domain. For instance, what would be the proper response code if we
> > attempted to remove the "CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED" status from an
> > existing domain that did not already have that status? Hopefully this
> > explanation makes sense.
>
> . . .it seems to me that this case is either a 2304 (because local
> policy could decide you can't remove a status that isn't there) or
> e;se a 2002 (because the status has to be set before it can be
> removed).  I'm not sure the current RFCs (or their proposed
> replacements) gives one a reason to prefer one of these answers to the
> other.
>

> --
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
> jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list