To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:21:05 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RFC 3730 (EPP)

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:47:29AM -0700, Owen Borseth wrote:
> In particular, what should be the proper response code to a domain
> update command where the domain itself exists but the item being
> updated for the domain does not exist?

The general answer to this, I think, is that it is dependent on the
case in question.  For the most part, I'd expect error codes in the
23xx series.  That said. . .

> domain. For instance, what would be the proper response code if we
> attempted to remove the "CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED" status from an
> existing domain that did not already have that status? Hopefully this
> explanation makes sense.

. . .it seems to me that this case is either a 2304 (because local
policy could decide you can't remove a status that isn't there) or
e;se a 2002 (because the status has to be set before it can be
removed).  I'm not sure the current RFCs (or their proposed
replacements) gives one a reason to prefer one of these answers to the
other.

<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: ajsaf@jabber.org                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list