To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:18:38 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] a new core command...?

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 02:52:33PM +0100, Eugenio Pinto wrote:
> If IRIS is specifically designed for querying and if a bulk query would be
> a real problem for big Registries (like COM/NET) are big Registries
> implementing IRIS on server side?

I'm not sure what you mean "on server side".

> Is anyone providing EPP and IRIS implementations to your
> Registrars/Resellers?

We are not at the moment.  I know there have been internal
discussions about it, but that's about all I can say on the topic
just now.

> I've seen some interesting implementation extensions to EPP and some
> aspects of IRIS fits better in the whole variety of Registries then EPP
> definitions.

The dreg2 stuff was explicitly aimed at supporting EPP-based systems
as well as other systems.  The author was very responsive to some
suggestions I sent; as nearly as I can tell, the approach provides an
extremely good query framework.

> Wouldn't it be better to provide a provisioning and querying
> protocol all-in-one to our Registrars, instead of two different API's with
> different schemas?...

I don't see the reason for this.  You have to be able to provide a
query interface anyway to non-registrar users, so you need such a
thing.  IRIS is intended to provide that.  It seems more likely that
one will provide a consistent experience for everyone by providing
bulk query access via the same interface to everyone.

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list