To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:30:40 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] registries, XML & EPP (again)

At 18:08 +0200 10/19/05, Klaus Malorny wrote:

I have no qualms with anyone implementing their own system, even if
there is a so-called standard approach out there.
(Contempt-of-standards is not a crime.)  However, doing this is what
will kill off the IETF.  The IETF has been, is, and can be a valuable
resource to the developers of the Internet so long as we fight decay
of it's function.

>Sorry to say that, but in the beginning of the provreg working group Scott and
>others of the gTLD faction were just too confined to the Verisign model and
>fully ignored the ccTLDs, their needs and their models. IMHO this discouraged
>many ccTLDs from participating. EPP is indeed "extensible", but in
>some aspects
>just not at all.

No reason to be sorry for that feeling.  But the question is - in
what way did the discouragement of the ccTLDs become a
self-fulfilling prophecy?

(One disclaimer - I am going to label camps as ccTLD and gTLD.  Take
this as a broad brush.  In particular, my current employer is both a
ccTLD and a gTLD.  The camps aren't so neatly distinct.)

As one of the chairs of the group, I did my best to get wide review.
(I was hampered by a limited budget for this as my then employer is
not any kind of a stakeholder in the process.)  Approaching some
ccTLDs when I could get out, I was told that input was too expensive.
The only organizations that expended energy were those with a gTLD
mission.

It wasn't until I got one ccTLD person to speak up about the
host-less issue that the specification softened on this.  It wasn't a
matter of getting a voice of a ccTLD to do this, it was a matter of
trying to figure out what middle ground was available, i.e., how to
bend the work to suit all comers.  There were rumors floating that
the host-less approach was in conflict with EPP, but until someone
clearly said why and was able to sketch a solution, rumors were just
that.  (Engineers don't deal in rumor.)

When the WG began in 2001, nearly all of the voices were gTLD fed.
ccTLDs didn't pay much attention as the first blocks of concrete set.
Over time EPP got wider review which translates into rethinking early
decisions.  Any feelings of "let's not do this again" by the
incumbents towards the newcomers is just human nature.  It will
continue to be this way until the Internet serves the entire planet.
Such inertia needs to be fought, with even more energy by the newer
newcomers or else the entire effort will collapse into fragmented
bickering.

My words aren't about "anyone vs. the Verisign model," although I can
understand that sentiment.  This is about trying to make the IETF
work.

What can be done?  If you were to submit a draft that gives
engineering details of what is wrong with EPP for your case, perhaps
there is a way to define EPP2 that is even more general.   Then
again, maybe not - TV has PAL and NTSC formats.  The people that
"suffer" are those running the clients.

NeuStar

True story:
Only a routing "expert" would fly London->Minneapolis->Dallas->Minneapolis
to get home from a conference.  (Cities changed to protect his identity.)

Home | Date list | Subject list