To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:22:56 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] registries, XML & EPP (again)

At 18:01 +0200 10/18/05, Klaus Malorny wrote:

>while EURid has updated their specs in a thankworthy way, this still
>has a slightly bad aftertaste, as even the namespace of the framing
>XML (i.e. the "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0" namespace) was
>required to be changed due to ...

What bothers me is that there is a second instance of a registry, in
this other case, avoiding EPP and instead building their own
protocol.  I am not making a judgement call on the wisdom of
prefering a home grown effort over a standard, but rather am
concerned that the standard wasn't "good" enough for them.

See:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-51/presentations/pdf/ripe51-enum-epp.pdf

The talk is somewhat mistitled in the agenda, why DENIC didn't use
EPP for ENUM.  The reason is simply that DENIC doesn't use EPP for
anything.  (;))  From slide 7 onwards though is the interesting stuff
- why DENIC doesn't use EPP for anything.

This is a cry for "use the IETF for what it is for."  I would hope to
see a detailed critique outlining why EPP is failing to meet the
needs of the community come in, and not a feeling that EPP should be
shunned.  The definition of EPP by the IETF is not to be taken as a
royal edict.  It should be the collective wit and wisdom of us wise
guys.
NeuStar

True story:
Only a routing "expert" would fly London->Minneapolis->Dallas->Minneapolis
to get home from a conference.  (Cities changed to protect his identity.)

Home | Date list | Subject list