To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:01:06 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] registries, XML & EPP (again)

maarten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The prefix problem is actually a bug in our documentation:  no specific
> prefixes are required.
> Concerning the IETF namespace URI's :  we will use our own URI's for all
> the schemas that we have modified.
>
> Maarten Bosteels
> software developer DNS Belgium

Hi all,

while EURid has updated their specs in a thankworthy way, this still has a
slightly bad aftertaste, as even the namespace of the framing XML (i.e. the
"urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0" namespace) was required to be changed due to
the introduction of new commands. I have the feeling that quite a lot of new
registrars that download open source EPP implementations will have to learn the
hard way that EPP is not always EPP. That way, it could be questionable whether
EURid's protocol even deserves the name "EPP" at all.

On the other hand, while EPP does provide a legal means to create additional
commands via the second level "<epp:extension>" element, one should rethink the
fixed command set of the "commandType" schema type when an update of EPP is
considered. Having an additional command as an extension outside of the
"<command>" element, it is not clear that the typical command/response behaviour
shall apply to this command as well.

regards,

Klaus

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list