To: "Edward Lewis" <Ed.Lewis@Neustar.biz>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:23:04 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] 3730 <poll> Text Change Proposal

[snip]

> That's why I suggest a "SHOULD/MUST" send to others involved, "MAY"
> to the requestor.  (And that clients MUST be able to deal with the
> message appropriately.)

OK, so how about this:

OLD (section 2.9.2.3):
Service messages MUST be created for all clients affected by an action
on an object.  For example, <transfer> actions MUST be reported to both
the client that requests an object transfer and the client that has the
authority to approve or reject the transfer request.

NEW:
Service messages SHOULD be created for passive clients affected by an
action on an object.  Service messages MAY also be created for active
clients that request an action on an object, though such messages MUST
NOT replace the normal protocol response to the request.  For example,
<transfer> actions SHOULD be reported to the client that has the
authority to approve or reject a transfer request.  Other methods of
server-client action notification, such as offline reporting, are also
possible and are beyond the scope of this specification.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list