To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:22:16 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] 3730 <poll> Text Change Proposal

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:23:04AM -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> NEW:
> Service messages SHOULD be created for passive clients affected by an
> action on an object.  Service messages MAY also be created for active

The SHOULD here makes me slightly nervous, but I don't have any
principled objection.  I still think the mechanism is pretty
inflexible, but this SHOULD gives me enough room, I think, to move if
I have to.

The third paragraph of the existing 2.9.2.3 also has this:

---cut here---
Servers MAY implement other mechanisms to dequeue and deliver
messages if queue maintenance needs exceed server resource
consumption limits.
---cut here---

We could take the conditional clause away, to yield, "Servers
MAY implement other mechanisms to dequeue and deliver messages."
That would again be consistent with the old language, and coupled
with the changes Scott has suggested, would lead to a looser
understanding of what the poll mechanism requires.

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110

Home | Date list | Subject list