To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew@ca.afilias.info>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:04:18 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Country codes (another EPP Document Update)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 03:40:04PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:

> 1) If a group elsewhere is working on this, maybe it's best to lay
> back.  Especially if there are subject matter experts "over there".

Yes.  I think I may not have been perfectly clear, but part of what I
was trying to say is, "Does anyone know what the status of that work
is?  Did it get anywhere, or was the moaning and gnashing of teeth I
heard the only thing that happened?"  I have no idea what people are
actually going to do about the whole YU/CS debacle, but if someone
else came up with an answer, we might be able just to include it now
while we're at it.

> 2) Maybe this is an issue not for the EPP interface but for database
> "archival" functions.

Surely not.  If the database has a contact in it with a country code
of YU, and someone does a <contact:info> on that contact, the
repository need to return YU, even though YU is no longer valid under
the normative reference.  (Or, if your view of the normative
reference is that it refers only to the 3166-1 from 1997, replace
this example with some other effective one -- I think the CD/ZR one
will do.)  I suppose I'm being a protocol lawyer, though: we all know
what the _point_ of the reference is, so maybe implicity it's really
3166 for any value of "3166's history".  (That still doesn't solve
the CS-is-Czechoslovakia/CS-is-Serbia-and-Montenegro problem,
though.)

----
<andrew@ca.afilias.info>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110