To: "'Hollenbeck, Scott'" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@afilias.info>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:13:00 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] EPP Document Updates

Scott, all,
>This is another one of those things that we should really consider removing
>(if no one is using it) or revising (if it's not quite right).

We should consider re-initiating the provreg group.  A number of changes are
due in EPP, and enough registries are now using EPP that actual practice has
exposed both issues and deviances from the protocol.  Further, registries
have implemented extensions that, in some cases, make more sense to be part
of a standard -- the case of what happened with RGP is relevant here.

In the ICANN meeting in Luxembourg, I spoke with a number of gTLD
registries, who expressed interest in reviving the group.  Specifically, I
spoke with GNR, PIR, .TEL, MTLD, VeriSign and NeuStar; presumably direct
notes from these registries are forth-coming.  Several ccTLD registries also
expressed interest in the topic, but did not outright have an opinion on
restarting provreg.

In light of both changes in practice and interest from practitioners, I
would like to ask members of this list to express their opinion and interest
in the re-initiation of the provreg group.

-Ram
Ram Mohan
Chief Technology Officer
Vice President, Business Operations
Afilias (http://www.afilias.info)
p: +1.215.706.5700 x103; f: +1.215.706.5701
m: +1.215.431.0958
e: rmohan@afilias.info