To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Frederico A C Neves <fneves@registro.br>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:41:09 -0300
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

Scott,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:56:29PM -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
> > This looks good. It would be helpful to see the descriptive text you
> > mentioned (and some example requests) to confirm that I'm
> > understanding
> > what you mean, exactly.
>
> Text:
>
> "Name server hosts for domain delegation can be specified as either
> references to existing host objects or as domain attributes that describe a
> host machine.  A server operator MUST use one name server specification form
> consistently.  A server operator that announces support for host objects
> MUST NOT allow domain attributes to describe a name server host machine.  A
> server operator that does not announce support for host objects MUST allow
> domain attributes to describe a name server host machine."
>
> The idea here is that it's a bad idea to allow some domain objects in a
> repository to reference host objects and others to use domain attributes
> that describe a host machine.  Using one form consistently will make
> implementation and server management easier.

This text is perfect for .br and solves all the problems I've tried to
explain at SF. If this moves forward we'll not need to use an
extension describing a different domain mapping or another crude hack,
so I'm all in favor of this.

> Example host object references:
>
> <domain:ns>
>   <domain:hostObj>ns1.example.com</domain:hostObj>
>   <domain:hostObj>ns1.example.net</domain:hostObj>
> </domain:ns>
>
> Example domain attributes that describe host machines:
>
> <domain:ns>
>   <domain:hostAttr>
>     <domain:hostName>ns1.example.com</domain:hostName>
>   </domain:hostAttr>

Here there is a missing <domain:hostAttr> or I'm misunderstanding
something ?

>     <domain:hostName>ns1.example.net</domain:hostName>
>     <domain:hostAddr ip="v4">192.0.2.2</domain:hostAddr>
>   </domain:hostAttr>
> </domain:ns>
>
> Ed: so when can we move forward with document edits for this and the privacy
> proposal?
>
> -Scott-

Fred

Home | Date list | Subject list