To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: "'Edward Lewis'" <edlewis@arin.net>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Joe Abley <jabley@isc.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:36:44 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] References for Today's Host Object Discussion

On Tuesday, Apr 8, 2003, at 13:56 Canada/Eastern, Hollenbeck, Scott
wrote:

>> This looks good. It would be helpful to see the descriptive text you
>> mentioned (and some example requests) to confirm that I'm
>> understanding
>> what you mean, exactly.
>
> Text:
>
> "Name server hosts for domain delegation can be specified as either
> references to existing host objects or as domain attributes that
> describe a
> host machine.  A server operator MUST use one name server
> specification form
> consistently.  A server operator that announces support for host
> objects
> MUST NOT allow domain attributes to describe a name server host
> machine.  A
> server operator that does not announce support for host objects MUST
> allow
> domain attributes to describe a name server host machine."
>
> The idea here is that it's a bad idea to allow some domain objects in a
> repository to reference host objects and others to use domain
> attributes
> that describe a host machine.  Using one form consistently will make
> implementation and server management easier.
>
> [examples]

Cool, that's what I understood. That's all good.

I presume that text would slot into draft-ietf-provreg-epp-domain-06
section 1.1 in some way (the corresponding section in
draft-ietf-provreg-epp-host-06 could maybe stay as-is, since if you
need the spec for host objects you're probably not running a server
that uses host attributes on domain objects).

The domain mapping document should presumably inherit some text along
the lines of section 2.5 in the host mapping document, to the effect
that "When a host object is provisioned for use as a DNS name server,
IP addresses SHOULD be required only as needed to generate DNS glue
records."

Stronger text which says that IP addresses MUST only be present in host
attributes if the host name is subordinate to the containing domain
object name sounds like it is more than is required (and e.g. will not
be compatible with the data in the NL registry, as per Jaap.

Joe

Home | Date list | Subject list