To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, lampson@iaregistry.com, shollenbeck@verisign.com
From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:03:45 +0100 (MET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Some More Off-List Comments

The French rules for writing postal address are normalized,
cf. AFNOR XP Z 10-011, May 1997 so called norme 38.
In short:
   6 lignes maximum
  38 characters maximum per line (including spaces)

The exemple with instructions is given at:
http://preproduction.laposte.fr/sna/saisie/saisiepart.asp

Yes, indeed we have Cedex indications.
Usually Cedex follows city name, something like
        75982 PARIS CEDEX 20
and is NOT a ZIP code
More instructions at:
http://www.laposte.fr/produits/courrier/code.htm

And yes, indeed our ZIP code is on the left side
of the city name - like in almost all continental Europe.

You may note that some European countries add a country prefix
to their ZIP code, but unfortunately this prefix seems
car's plates based, therefore not universal.
It would be much better postal services use ISO 3166-1,
like bank do in their IBAN - International Bank Account Number,
but it is another debate.

I am in favor of 16 characters for ZIP area, rather than 10.
And for postal address respecting countrie's rules
- looking on IANA content for ccTLD is just making me nervous.

Elisabeth Porteneuve