To: "'Mike Lampson'" <lampson@iaregistry.com>, "'ietf-provregcafaxse'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:56:51 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Some More Off-List Comments

[snip]

FWIW here's the text of the comment I received from Asbjorn Stiera; I don't
think he'll mind me forwarding it to provide context:

"according to a postcode site (1), Mexico allows a 13 digit postal code
for their "bulk mail code". In addition, in France it is not uncommon to
append "CEDEX" to the postcode "for business adresses with special
delivery arrangements" (1)(2), meaning a French post code can
potentially have 11 digits (5+" "+5)."

I didn't see these possibilities mentioned on the UPU site, though.

> P.S. Without knowing the specific needs (and future changes) of postal
> identifiers used throughout the world, I would say that a 16
> character limit
> sounds better than 10.

That was part of Asbjorn's argument as well.

-Scott-

(1)
http://www.magma.ca/~djcl/postcd.txt

(2)