To: Hollenbeck Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'ietf-provregcafaxse'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Mike Lampson <lampson@iaregistry.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:45:37 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Some More Off-List Comments

Scott,

The Universal Postal Union only lists 5 digit postal codes for both France
and Mexico.  Note that the UPU also indicates placement of postal codes when
sending mail.  These 2 countries both place their postal code to the left of
the locality.

Start here:
  http://www.upu.int/publications/en/post_code.shtml
and click on "Addressing formats" to look up information for a specific
country.

Regards,

Mike Lampson
The Registry at Info Avenue, LLC

P.S. Without knowing the specific needs (and future changes) of postal
identifiers used throughout the world, I would say that a 16 character limit
sounds better than 10.