To: "'lynettek@netnumber.com'" <lynettek@netnumber.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:05:07 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Some More Off-List Comments

The <msg> element is used to carry only a specified set of response messages
used to describe the response codes.  As it was explained to me, the
<reason> element would be optional, and could be used to provide additional
info that would help a client understand why an error occurred.

For example, if an error response of 2306 (Parameter value policy error) is
returned, the <msg> element would carry "Parameter value policy error" and
the <reason> element could be used to explain exactly what the policy
violation is.  This should be helpful both for clients who are trying to
understand what went wrong and customer service folks on the server side who
might have to help debug client problems.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list