To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
CC: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:26:21 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "External" hosts in EPP

> Klaus,
>
> Actually, while looking at a way to modify the domain schema to accommodate
> the "out of zone" name servers I think I've figured out a way to make both
> the host object proponents and opponents happy.  What do you think about
> this?:
>
> I modify the domain mapping so that delegations are made using one of two
> name server identification forms:
>
> 1. As is described in the drafts right now using an existing host object, or
>
> 2. A new, second form that allows the client to provide a server name and
> optional IP address, but this form doesn't refer to a host object.
>
> The second form can be used by registries that support objects for in-zone
> hosts to fix the out-of-zone host problem (leaving off the IP address), but
> it can also be used by registries that don't want to support host objects.
> Such registries wouldn't advertise a host mapping in the <greeting>, and
> they would require delegations to be done using the new form with IP address
> info only as appropriate.
>
> -Scott-

Hi Scott,

this would be a similar host-less model as DENIC/.de has. So far, I don't see
any problems with it. I wouldn't say that I would implement this kind of model
if I had a choice. As you know, I don't have a problem with host objects in
general, but only with the way they are implemented in EPP. Nevertheless, at
the very end it is only a question of personal preferences.

regards,

Klaus Malorny

      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list