To: "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 05:45:46 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: "External" hosts in EPP

Klaus,

Actually, while looking at a way to modify the domain schema to accommodate
the "out of zone" name servers I think I've figured out a way to make both
the host object proponents and opponents happy.  What do you think about
this?:

I modify the domain mapping so that delegations are made using one of two
name server identification forms:

1. As is described in the drafts right now using an existing host object, or

2. A new, second form that allows the client to provide a server name and
optional IP address, but this form doesn't refer to a host object.

The second form can be used by registries that support objects for in-zone
hosts to fix the out-of-zone host problem (leaving off the IP address), but
it can also be used by registries that don't want to support host objects.
Such registries wouldn't advertise a host mapping in the <greeting>, and
they would require delegations to be done using the new form with IP address
info only as appropriate.

-Scott-

Home | Date list | Subject list