To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
CC: Eva Stengård <eva.stengard@nrm.se>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:56:26 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: <check> Response Attribute

Maybe this situation is what's causing a ruckus:

With Versign's com/net/org RRP registry, doing a check on "dan.ca"
returns the message "Invalid Attribute Value".  So not only is it
telling me that "dan.ca" is not available, but that the domain name is
invalid.  EPP's <check> command can't do this because the command is
designed in such a way to check more than one object at once and give
+/- flags for each.  The response code reports the overall success of
the command.  I would imagine that most EPP registries would say that a
domain in the wrong TLD is not known to the registry (semantics of "not
known" vs. "not available [from this registry]").

So in gaining the ability to check more than one object, EPP's <check>
loses the ability to validate a domain name (or rather to report on
validation of the name).

Yet another alternative:  Perhaps <check> should allow for an "op" like
transfer.  Values could include "normal" (the default), "extended",
"validate".  The extended and validate op's could be limited to one
object per check command to minimize load of the extra work.  Extended
check would return an additional "reason" attribute for objects known to
the registry (we've already been over this discussion).  Validating
checks would verify various things: TLD/SLD permission checks, etc...

Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list