To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:00:18 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Questions about containers

Let me test out my own perspective on containers:

Computer science loves deferred binding.  Although it can have serious
efficiency problems, it benefits from allowing accuracy and dynamic
"configuration".

Within the registration world, there is need to support vastly different
business models, as wells as what might be called different registration
models.

Therefore we want to be very, very careful about the relationships that we
require -- as opposed to allow -- between data objects.

The container construct is a way of decoupling one or more dependencies
that the standard might otherwise have to impose.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list