To: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
CC: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, Eric Brunner <brunner@nic-naa.net>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:46:58 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Questions about containers

Daniel Manley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm reposting this since I haven't seen a reply yet.  If I missed the
> reply somehow, could someone please send it to me or repost it to the list?
>
> Many thanks,
> Dan
>
> Daniel Manley wrote:
>
> > Eric,

Even for the case that I make myself even more unpopular, I would like to add
two simple questions to the good questions raised by Daniel:

Do the benefits you expect from containers legitimate the enormous amount of
complexity they add to a registry, registrar or reseller system (as they
introduce hierarchical/recursive data structures)? Do you think the normal
end-user is able to understand this concept?

Still, the spec is confusing to me. Some terms are used in a way that is
unfamilar to _me_, the initial ASCII art graphic suggests something different
than what is described in the text. But I will try harder.

As far as I understand the document, the graph should look more like:

      +-------------+
      +-------------+        +-->| Registrant 1 |    "child" objects,
             |               |   +--------------+    properties????
             |               |
             |               |   +--------------+
             |               +-->|    Host 1    |
      +-------------+   .
      +-------------+   .    +-->|  Contact 1   |
             |          ........>+--------------+
             |          .
             +------------------------------------+
             |          .                         |
             |          |derived           +-------------+
             |          |objects????       | Container 4 |
      +-------------+   .                  +-------------+
      | Container 3 |--------+
      +-------------+   .    |   +--------------+
             |          .    +-->|    Host 2    |
             |          .....|..>+--------------+
             |          .    |
             |          .    |   +--------------+
             |          .    +-->| Registrant 2 |
      +-------------+   .
      |   "linked"  |....
      | Object ???? |--------+
      +-------------+        |   +--------------+
                             +==>| addl. objects|

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list