To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
cc: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, Eric Brunner <brunner@nic-naa.net>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 00:01:16 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Questions about containers

> Do the benefits you expect from containers legitimate the enormous amount of
> complexity they add to a registry, registrar or reseller system (as they
> introduce hierarchical/recursive data structures)? Do you think the normal
> end-user is able to understand this concept?

My idea of a normal end-user is a registrar with a tool kit and a manual of
recommended practice to a) make his or her life easier, and b) make him or
her and the upstream registry as efficient as possible. Greater ROI. Who is
your idea of the normal end-user?

> Still, the spec is confusing to me. Some terms are used in a way that is
> unfamilar to _me_, the initial ASCII art graphic suggests something different
> than what is described in the text. But I will try harder.

I wish I had an editor that could keep the semantics, or even the syntax, of
different sections of text, and sections of text and non-text, consistent and
help keep me from being confused. I used Rose during the CPExchange work, but
we don't use propriatary tools or non-ASCII formats in IETF memos.

> As far as I understand the document, the graph should look more like:

>       |   "linked"  |....
>                              +==>| addl. objects|

Nope. The linked object points at a container object. I'll try harder myself
the next go-round.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list