To: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
cc: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, Eric Brunner <brunner@nic-naa.net>, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:54:02 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Questions about containers

I don't think I ever saw a prior original.

: I'm reposting this since I haven't seen a reply yet.  If I missed the
: reply somehow, could someone please send it to me or repost it to the list?

> 1) XRP is mentioned twice without introduction.  Is this leftover from
> the XRP drafts?

Yup. Typos-R-me.

> 2) Do containers and their relations to other objects preclude the
> associations defined in the EPP domain draft?

Uh, what?

> 3) The registrant -- that is simply a contact right.  I might have
> missed it but I don't think it explicitly says that.

Yup.

> 4) Can you explain the difference between child objects and linked
> objects?  That wasn't completely clear to me.

Suppose container object FOO looks alot like Registrar X's basic we-host-em
package. It has a root and some child objects, looking a bit like the ASCII
art in the draft. Each sale of the basic w-h-e package need only link to a
container object (this).

> 5) The container delete description specifies that the authInfo must
> be provided.  This isn't right is it?

Why not?

> 6) In container delete, what is the difference between using the none
> and the break option?  Taking no action on related objects implicitly
> breaks their association with the deleted container right?
>
> 7) The following paragraph states that a container should not be
> deleted if it is associated with other known objects.  Is that really
> saying that containers can't be delete as long as they have a parent?
> The way it is worded there, I couldn't help but try to extrapolate a
> meaning with the previous option element (none, delete, break).  But
> maybe that's just the way I interpreted it.

Let's take these two or three up when I get back from travel (business first,
then pleasure, I think). After the 18th. Ayesha and Ning can answer better in
any case.

> 8) How does a registrar know which templates exist in the registry?
> Will that information be provided out-of-band in contracts or notices
> from the registry?

Since templates are registry-private instances of canned policy, that is
as good a way as any.

> 9) Referring to the diagram example in the draft, if a registrar
> associated a domain to Container 3, would that domain have Host 1
> (from Container 1) and Host 2 in it's DNS records?

Yup. Unless there was some ordering or maximal rule associated with object
containers of type Container_3, e.g., only one (bizzare) NS (host).

> I might forward more questions as I study the document a little more.

And I'm sure the document will improve as it is critically read by eyes
other than its authors.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list