To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 16:12:22 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Questions about containers

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

>>2) Do containers and their relations to other objects preclude the
>>associations defined in the EPP domain draft?
>>

>Uh, what?

The domain draft written by Scott says that contacts and hosts get
associated directly to individual domain objects through the create and
update command.  The container spec presents implicit associations
between objects in the same container or with other objects in
super-containers.  So does that mean that the direct associations
through the domain object are invalid or ignored?

>>4) Can you explain the difference between child objects and linked
>>objects?  That wasn't completely clear to me.
>>

>Suppose container object FOO looks alot like Registrar X's basic we-host-em
>package. It has a root and some child objects, looking a bit like the ASCII
>art in the draft. Each sale of the basic w-h-e package need only link to a
>container object (this).

Sorry, it's still not quite clear.  The linking operation is done by
making a registrant's typical "w-h-e" container as a child object of the
registrar's master container (which would contain default nameservers
and contacts)?  This tells me that linking is just another term for
making into a child object.  I probably still don't have this right.
 Feel free to explain further.

>>5) The container delete description specifies that the authInfo must
>>be provided.  This isn't right is it?
>>

>Why not?

Hey, it just looked unusual because no other objects require auth info
to delete them.  I thought that it might have been a copy/paste typo
from the container create section.

>>6) In container delete, what is the difference between using the none
>>and the break option?  Taking no action on related objects implicitly
>>breaks their association with the deleted container right?
>>
>>7) The following paragraph states that a container should not be
>>deleted if it is associated with other known objects.  Is that really
>>saying that containers can't be delete as long as they have a parent?
>>The way it is worded there, I couldn't help but try to extrapolate a
>>meaning with the previous option element (none, delete, break).  But
>>maybe that's just the way I interpreted it.
>>

>Let's take these two or three up when I get back from travel (business first,
>then pleasure, I think). After the 18th. Ayesha and Ning can answer better in
>any case.

If Ayesha or Ning can answer in your place, that would be great.  Thanks.

>>9) Referring to the diagram example in the draft, if a registrar
>>associated a domain to Container 3, would that domain have Host 1
>>(from Container 1) and Host 2 in it's DNS records?
>>

>Yup. Unless there was some ordering or maximal rule associated with object
>containers of type Container_3, e.g., only one (bizzare) NS (host).

Ok.  How about a follow-up question to this:  so doing an info on a
domain would lists all of its nameservers and contacts, including all
inherited ones? (which kinda goes back to question numbered 2 above).

>>I might forward more questions as I study the document a little more.
>>

>And I'm sure the document will improve as it is critically read by eyes
>other than its authors.
>
>Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list