To: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 10:22:28 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

At 09:43 AM 9/1/2001, Patrick wrote:
>For the record, I agree to have the PUSH as a MAY, however I totally
>disagree to say that the POLL is bad and should be replaced by the
>PUSH. The POLL should be a MUST and the PUSH a MAY.

One of the nice things about the IETF's style of writing specification
documents, is that it is acceptable to include some explanatory text and
pedagogy.

Perhaps it would be helpful to have a brief discussion about polling and
pushing to explains a bit of the operations (and software) tradeoffs?

That way, "good" vs. "bad" is not the debate, but instead the focus is on
costs vs. benefits.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list