To: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:10:21 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

At 10:08 AM 9/1/2001, Patrick wrote:
>Also this should be clearly specified during the greetings (in the
>svcMenu tag), and the client SHOULD be able to refuse that the server
>uses the PUSH (preference it can show during the login command, in
>the options tag).

For the benefit of working group participants who are new to the IETF -- as
well as to make sure that I and we are all in synch about the effect of
this SHOULD:

SHOULD means "strongly recommended".  That is, the specification asserts
that an implementation is allowed to decline to implement the feature, but
there had better be a very good reason for omitting it.

Also, this use of SHOULD does not mean that the OPERATION of the service
"should" use it.

Rather, the software is encouraged to support the feature, but the
specification is not offering advice on its actual use.  That is, the
software should make the choice available to the operator.

Individual operators decide whether they want to use the feature.  (If the
software developer chooses to provide the operator with the choice.)

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list