To: Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stealthgeeks.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:03:55 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

At 09:11 AM 8/29/2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>As the number of registries and registrars scale, it might be much more
>appropriate to have those registries PUSHing messages only to those
>that have messages in the queue rather than having the registrars blindly
>polling each registry on a timed interval.

Patrik, this is establishing a very dangerous pattern.  Besides agreeing
with a suggestion from Scott, I'm now forced to agree with your
observation.  If a registrar is inactive, it should not be keeping a
connection in place, wasting server resources.

In fact, the idea that the push could include having no connection in
place, but have the *registry* establish the connection to the registrar,
is not something we have discussed (as far as I have seen.)

As you note, however, there is a very strong scaling argument for that sort
of mode of operation.  (Back in the days of doing disconnected email
relaying, I called this "mixed initiative.)

thanks!

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list