To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:48:53 +1000
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Message Pushing and TCP Transport

Hello All,

The issue of pushing verus pulling, is not one of OR but one of AND.

There are definitely services that a registry can create that can make use
of the PUSH protocol.  For example various notification services - e.g a
registrar can request the registry to notify it when a particular domain
name has been deleted and is available for registration.

The idea is to support the option for a registry to create a range of
services, some of which use the pull approach, and some of which use the
push approach.  We should allow a registry to innovate.

Registrars can choose what services they wish to use, and registries can
choose what services that choose to offer.  In general a registry
introducing a service that uses the PUSH function of the protocol, would
also provide the necessary toolkits to registrars to use that process.

The protocol should support the ability for a registrar and registry to
negotiate the services available at the time of establishing a session.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin