To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:59:21 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Pushing vs. Pulling

At 09:23 AM 8/29/2001, Edward Lewis wrote:
>BTW, the Push-Pull straw poll did have one benefit.  Scott suggested that
>polling is a MUST, pushing a MAY.  Perhaps this is the middle ground to
>build upon.  (Comments on this, please.)

yes!

d/

ps.  Occasionally the meaning of must vs. may is confused (and confusing)
in IETF discussions. My own understanding of the usage is that MUST means
that any conforming implementation must support the capability.  However
even a must does not mean that the capability must be USED during operation.

A MAY means that a conforming implementation is permitted to include the
capability, but is not required to.  However the mechanism defined by the
MAY is the "standards" way of doing the task that is defined.  In this
case, that would mean that if push is supported by an implementation a
standards conformant implementation will perform push in the way defined by
the MAY.

Just for completeness, it is worth noting that a third type of requirement
level in IETF work is in between may and must:  SHOULD.  SHOULD means that
it is strongly recommended that the feature be supported in the
implementation -- again note that this does not require its use during
actual operation -- but that an implementation may choose not to support
it... if there is a very good reason.  (That sounds fuzzy, and it
is.  Essentially, it means that there is strong pressure to support the
feature, but you are still allowed to claim conformance without it.  On the
other hand, you should expect customers to ask you to defend the decision.)

Hence, MAY is actually a very modest standards level of requirement.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list