To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Daniel Manley <dmanley@tucows.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:31:18 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Pushing vs. Pulling

Edward Lewis wrote:

>BTW, the Push-Pull straw poll did have one benefit.  Scott suggested that
>polling is a MUST, pushing a MAY.  Perhaps this is the middle ground to
>build upon.  (Comments on this, please.)

The argument that the protocol have a base set of MUSTs and any number
of MAYs for extensions (sometimes registry-specific), IMHO, somewhat
undoes what were trying to do, right?

Let's say the group favours a MUST for Poll and a MAY for Push.  All
registries would implement Poll because they MUST and some registries
MAY additionally implement Push.  If a registrar is using the same
client software to connect to [all] EPP registries, they would implement
Poll because they MUST, but what would be incentive for the registrar to
implement Push code if Pull is working fine?

Is there a problem with a protocol that is too accomodating?  Could a
single protocol that is "too" extensible eventually fracture into
multiple protocols?  (although these last two questions might get me a
little out of scope of the original email)

Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list