To: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
CC: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:35:25 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Poll response data

Rick H Wesson wrote:

> Scott,
>
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>
> > After thinking about this for a bit, I like Klaus' idea of returning more
> > transfer detail in the <poll> response.  Doing so will help reduce the need
> > to do an immediate <transfer> query right after receiving a message to
> > obtain the details of a pending transfer.
> >

> however the tradeoff is that the queue(s) wiill have to be larger and
> couldn't the information become out of sync with the rest of the registry?
>
>   Registrar-A submits a transfer request for foo.com from Registrar-B
>   <registry inserts stuff in queue>
>   Registrar-B does poll and ACK on foo.com
>   Registrar-A does a poll -> is the information correct?
>
> A better question is this situation ok?
>
> -rick

Hi Rick,

anywhere where you have multiple actions which are not executed atomically in
a multitasking environment, there is a chance to get outdated information.
E.g. you could query the registry about a transfer and it tells you that it is
pending, so you decide that you either accept or reject it. But before you
submit your decision to the registry, the gaining registrar may have cancelled
the transfer, so you may get some kind of error message on your transfer
request despite the query reponse you got fractions of a second before.

Therefore, the problem is not specific to the poll mechanism, although the
effect may appear more often if you don't poll regularly.

regards,

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list