To: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Patrick <patrick@gandi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:20:31 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: 3.4/Object Ownership, esp. Name Server Ownership

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:32:33AM +0200, Klaus Malorny took time to write:
> One big problem we regularly have with NSI's current registry system is that
> it disallows the registration of a name server belonging to a domain
> registered by another registrar. The requirement to be able to do that might
> be unreasonable in the first view. But many customers choose to use multiple
> registrars simultaneously for registering their domains, and it is rather
> difficult to explain to them that we can't register their domains with name
> servers they had specified and they own. It is a serious flaw in the design of
> the current system and should be avoided in any new protocol.

Another real case even more impossible to handle now.
A ``owns'' nameserver Z registered in the database as such. A wants
to delete it for whatever reason from the database.
If Z is used as nameserver for any domain, the deletion will be
refused.
Even if A does everything he can (contact the domain owner asking
them to remove _his_ nameserver, etc...), he is blocked.

Something should be attempted so that cases like that will not happen
anymore.
If A was really associated as owner of Z in the database, he would be
possible for him maybe to delete it even if this case.

Patrick.

Home | Date list | Subject list