To: "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:41:29 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: 3.4/Object Ownership, esp. Name Server Ownership

The draft doesn't use the term "ownership" anywhere, and for good reason.
What "ownership" means depends on legal definitions that vary from place to
place, and I want no part of trying to determine how different entities
interpret the term.

"Sponsorship", on the other hand, describes the relationship between a
client and the objects the client creates in the repository.  The client
that creates an object has administrative rights to manage the object in the
repository.

I don't see a requirement anywhere in the draft that says that only the
registrar who creates foo.com can create hosts in foo.com.  Maybe that's a
hole, because 3.4.5 does say that if foo.com is transferred, all of the
foo.com hosts are transferred as well.  I don't think foo.com hosts should
be transferred unless they are all sponsored by the same registrar.  Without
this requirement, the other alternative is to change 3.4.5-[1] to remove
everything after the first sentence and go back to the drawing board to
figure out how to deal with host transfers.  If the list really supports the
idea of allowing any registrar to create a host object, then we also need to
support explicit host transfers.

As currently written, 3.4.5 says that name server sponsorship relations must
be maintained when a domain is transferred.  If foo.com is transferred, all
of the foo.com hosts are transferred as well.  If we assume that no other
registrar can create hosts in foo.com, a consistent sponsorship relationship
is changed when a domain transfer takes place.  3.4.9 says that the list of
name servers that are subject to transfer must be visible as part of the
information describing a domain, so there's no surprise or hidden
relationships.

Now, one can argue (and we have, we've talked about this more than once)
that this is a restrictive model, and that any registrar should be able to
create a host in foo.com.  As I've said before, this introduces a different
set of difficulties regarding management of foo.com that I believe are more
difficult to solve.  Once you have multiple registrars creating objects that
are hierarchically related to foo.com the registrar of foo.com doesn't have
a complete picture of the domain object, which may lead to inter-registrar
(that is, _competing_ registrar) coordination requirements and associated
problems.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list