To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, tech@nic.fr
From: Olivier Guillard / AFNIC <Olivier.Guillard@nic.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:13:41 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: comments on last draft

le mardi 10 avril à 14 H 27 , Hollenbeck, Scott a écrit :
> >1. Introduction
> >---------------
> >
> >** BEGIN REMARK ***************************************************
> >
> >The idea here is that the validating process is a step that need
> >to be performed under certain TLD (may be not by the registry).
> >This validation can have many reason (data protection, naming
> >plan etc.).
> >
> >An entry point to allow this step must be available somewhere
> >in the protocole (probably in the object management section),
> >
> >Something like:
> >
> >   The protocol MUST provide services that allow a validating service
> >	  to approve or reject object registration. Requests to approve or
> >	  reject the registration objects MUST be limited. Unauthorized
> >	  attempts to approve or reject the object registration MUST be
> >	  explicitly rejected.
> >
> >if there is no "validating service" for a particular registry, this feature
> >will not be used.
>
> This is why 8.2-[1] was added based on an earlier request from you.  It
> already says that validation services may be provided.

I understand, but as part of a generic registrar registry protocole, and
regarding the practises of many TLDs, I suppose that this service should
be formalized within the object management sections and seen as a requirement.
For many reasons, as many other ccTLDs, we need to check and validate the
demands of DN.

> [snip]

shame :(

additional sections in root servers can be a real pain if not properly
maintained.

> >> If example.com is removed, server ns1.example.com will have to removed or
> >> renamed.
> >
> >Is this a requirement?
>
> Not specifically, because it's more a matter of how a registry manages it's
> data.
>
> >> test.com will have to be updated to note the change.  Each
> >> client/registrar is responsible for the integrity of the objects
> >> they sponsor.

Well, if I understand what you say:

1)    domain name object, with a required field ("name" or "designation"
      e.g.: "toto.com.");
2)    name server objects whith an equivalent required field that depend
      on a domain name object designation (e.g: ns1."toto.com.")
3)    the maintenance of these objects should not be centralized (here
      starts the troubles)
3bis) for example, a domain object might be remove, this operation having
      no effect on the namerservers designated by this domain (no foreign
	  key in nameserver objets is another word).

> >Will it be sufficient to have a whole coherent db?
>
> My assertion is that this is the most reasonable of multiple options, and
> that it is indeed possible to maintain relational integrity.

I would appreciate other point of view on this topic because personally, I
don't think that this option is the most reasonable to maintain relational
integrity.

> >> "How long" and grace periods are a registry policy matter.  It will
> >> be up to each registry to figure out what works for them.
> >
> >Then a fonctionality must be implemented to allow the registry to configure
> >a grace period in this situation.
>
> That functionality is already provided in the "approve", "cancel" and
> "reject" transfer mechanisms described in section 3.4.5.

You mean it's "implicit" in the following sentence:

	Unauthorized attempts to approve or reject the transfer of a registered
	object MUST be explicitly rejected.

It seems to me that allow the original sponsoring registrar to approve or
reject a requested object transfer is a policie question, not a technical
requirement anyway. But I understand that some registries might need this
feature (actually we do). In this case, the grace period element should
be more explicit.

> >> Each client is responsible for the integrity of the objects
> >they sponsor.
> >
> >Will it be sufficient to have a whole coherent db?
>
> Yes, I think so.

By experience, I don't.

> >> This gets into another thread that's currently open on the mailing list,
> >> that of queries returning what Klaus has called "reverse" associations.
> >> I don't believe that such a feature is proper in a provisioning protocol,
> >> but it is appropriate for a query protocol or reporting service.
> >
> >I think the protocole should support this, even if a registry can
> >disable the feature (question of policie).
>
> I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

I don't see the problem to see this fonctionality implemented if it's
possible to NOT use it?

Regards,

Olivier Guillard

---
|| AFNIC - Immeuble International
|| 2 rue Stephenson - Montigny-le-Bretonneux
|| 78181, Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX, France
|| http://www.nic.fr/
|| mailto:Olivier.Guillard@nic.fr

Home | Date list | Subject list