To: "'Klaus Malorny'" <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:09:43 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: International Issues @ 3.4.2[6] and 9.

These
>versions MUST be tagged with a country and/or language identification
>according to RFC XXXX/ISO 639/ISO 3166.
>---8<---

I think the existing text is more appropriate; it allows for non-ASCII
representations as needed.  Plus, at IETF-50 there was room consensus that
charsets other than UTF-8 should not be used, which gets us back to either:

a) One set of data in UTF-8, which would support a singular representation
using both ASCII and non-ASCII characters, or

b) Two sets of data, with one (required) in ASCII and the other (if desired)
in potentially non-ASCII UTF-8.  My recollection is that most folks who
spoke up at the IETF meeting thought this was the best alternative.

Of course, this list is the final arbiter.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list