To: "'Mats Dufberg'" <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:03:30 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

...and by not mentioning anything at all about the need for an IP address
with a name server you run the larger risk of not having glue where it's
needed.  I don't have a problem with adding some words that describe why the
SHOULD isn't a MUST (see below), but cutting out the requirement completely
doesn't address the reality of needing addresses to produce glue records.

3.4.2-[3] existing text:
Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST be
registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address.

3.4.2-[3], change MUST to SHOULD and add new text:
Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs SHOULD be
registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address only as required to produce DNS
"glue" records.

In my opinion this ensures that we still have a requirement for addresses to
produce glue records, and covered the concern that addresses aren't required
for all name servers.

<Scott/>

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list