To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:26:19 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> >IMHO we should remove the requirement in 3.4.2[3] that a nameserver MUST
> have
> >an IP address if its name lies registered in the registrar's TLD. The
> >discussions here and the interesting report quoted by Elisabeth Porteneuve
> >showed that this requirement does not add much to the "health"
> >of the domain name system.
>
> I disagree that the requirement should be removed completely, and reiterate
> my earlier suggestion that replacing the MUST with a SHOULD would be more
> appropriate.

A SHOULD would be appropriate if storing the IP address for glue records
not strictly needed would be a better solution than not. I disagree. By
storing and announcing the IP address you increase the risk of have
different data in the mother zone than in the authoritative zone. -- Data
should be kept where it is authoritative as far as possible.

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29

Home | Date list | Subject list