To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:08:07 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: International Issues @ 3.4.2[6] and 9.

I would like to have some additions to 3.4.2:

rationale

Allthough section 9[2] mentions the problem of different languages and scripts
and gives a solution, especially in the requirement to MAY have multiple
versions of names, addresses etc. in different versions, I think it is
important to substantiate this for the so-called social data in section
3.4.2[6]. We should force to have a version of the social data that is
understandable around the world so we can assure that the data is useful
outside the country where it is originated.

added text

---8<---
3.4.2.

[6] ...

The social data MUST contain a version ("international variant") that uses
internatioal standards for names, addresses, phone numbers etc. and uses a
restricted character subset (US-ASCII).

The social data MAY additionally contain multiple versions ("national
variants") that MAY use national representations of names, addresses and phone
numbers and MAY use any characters which are supported by the protocol. These
versions MUST be tagged with a country and/or language identification
according to RFC XXXX/ISO 639/ISO 3166.
---8<---

Well, this could be generalized, of course, and be put in section 9.

regards

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list