To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:31:18 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

IMHO we should remove the requirement in 3.4.2[3] that a nameserver MUST have
an IP address if its name lies registered in the registrar's TLD. The
discussions here and the interesting report quoted by Elisabeth Porteneuve
showed that this requirement does not add much to the "health" of the domain
name system.

The more general question is whether it is the task of the protocol to protect
the DNS from misconfigurations or not. If so, we should do this in a more
generic form, e.g. to allow the protocol to reject a domain
registration/update because of invalid/misconfigured/lame name servers, as it
is done e.g. at the DENIC/.de registry -- although this will never be a
panacea.

regards

Klaus Malorny

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
     Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
     Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

Home | Date list | Subject list