To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, kent@songbird.com
From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:49:05 +0200 (MET DST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

Kent Crispin wrote:

> > You should be handing out glue records for name
> > servers within your TLD.  Taking your argument to an extreme, it's
> > possible to have a situation in which xxx.de has the name servers
> > ns1.yyy.de and ns2.yyy.de, with no IP address information.  yyy.de
> > could have the name servers ns1.xxx.de and ns2.xxx.de, with no IP
> > address information.  In that scenario, both xxx.de and yyy.de are
> > broken.  If you require that all .de name servers have IP addresses
> > associated with them, that can't happen.
>
> Yes, as I said, the requirement may reduce the likelihood of broken
> delegations, but I'm not sure how common the problem may be.

I am not sure if my note is strictly to the subject.

The Men and Mice
 http://www.menandmice.com/dnsplace/healthsurvey.html?DHS1100
indicates enourmous percentage of misconfigurations, see quotation.

I do not know how many of them are related to the case quoted above,
or, more complicated, to the name servers accross TLDs.

Elisabeth
--
International Comparisons of "Domain Health"

Highlights

In March 2000, Men & Mice conducted a comparative Domain Health
Survey for 8 selected countries. Random samples of 2000 zones
were tested for United Kingdom (.uk), France (.fr), Canada (.ca),
Australia (.au), Spain (.es) and Norway (.no). A random sample
of 1000 zones was taken for Ireland (.ie) and 500 zones for
Iceland (.is). It appears that Canada and United Kingdom have
the largest number of incorrect zones (read about critera for
errors in Methodology) or 70.30% and 70.05% respectively.
A Domain Health Survey for .COM in February '00 shows incorrect
zones as high as 72.5% (see figure below and further information here).
The best condition was in France with 29.35% of incorrect zones.
Close to France was Iceland with 32% incorrect zones, and
ranking number three was Norway with 36.10% of incorrect zones.