To: Urs Eppenberger <eppenberger@switch.ch>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Peter Eisenhauer <eisenhauer@schlund.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:38:37 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

I *was* referring to name servers using a hostname within the registry's
authoritative TLD.
See the discussion about use of glue records in the registry.

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 04:02:37PM +0200, Urs Eppenberger wrote:
> --On Freitag, 6. April 2001 15:18 Uhr +0200 Peter Eisenhauer
> <eisenhauer@schlund.de> wrote:
>
> > draft-ietf-provreg-grrp-reqs-01.txt:
> >  "Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
> >  be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."
>
> Hello Peter
> I understand your concern, if you base it only on the text quoted above.
> But reading chapter 3.4.2 [5] I understand it as follows:
> o  if you register a namserver in a registry which is authoritative for
>    TLD and the hostname of the nameserver is in the same TLD, then you
>    MUST register the IP address too
> o  you can register a nameserver in registries of other tlds, not in
>    the tld of its hostname, then you MAY register the IP address too,
>    these registries will ignore the IP addresses for their zone file.
>
> The phrase you quoted could be made more clear, for example:
> "Name servers using a hostname within the registry's authoritative TLDs
> MUST be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."
>
> Does this help or does this confuse?
>
> Urs.

Best Regards,
Peter Eisenhauer

--
Peter Eisenhauer                        Schlund + Partner AG
Erbprinzenstrasse 4-12                  Tel: 0721/91374-0

Home | Date list | Subject list