To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Urs Eppenberger <eppenberger@switch.ch>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 16:02:37 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

--On Freitag, 6. April 2001 15:18 Uhr +0200 Peter Eisenhauer
<eisenhauer@schlund.de> wrote:

> draft-ietf-provreg-grrp-reqs-01.txt:
>  "Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
>  be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."

Hello Peter
I understand your concern, if you base it only on the text quoted above.
But reading chapter 3.4.2 [5] I understand it as follows:
o  if you register a namserver in a registry which is authoritative for
   TLD and the hostname of the nameserver is in the same TLD, then you
   MUST register the IP address too
o  you can register a nameserver in registries of other tlds, not in
   the tld of its hostname, then you MAY register the IP address too,
   these registries will ignore the IP addresses for their zone file.

The phrase you quoted could be made more clear, for example:
"Name servers using a hostname within the registry's authoritative TLDs
MUST be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."

Does this help or does this confuse?

Urs.

Home | Date list | Subject list