To: "Mats Dufberg" <dufberg@nic-se.se>, Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Christopher Ambler" <cambler-ietf@iodesign.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:43:06 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

>I've seen that in real life! One was an SE domain and the other one was a
>NU domain. Both domain had the same two nameservers, but for the SE domain
>they used NU names, and vice versa. I talked to the holder, I he said that
>he thought he was smart...
>
>We cannot prevent that from happening by allowing non-strict glue.

From a protocol standpoint, no.

From a practical standpoint, yes, we can, in a way. When we build our .Web
zone, we do an SOA check on the name servers given. If the check fails such
that there aren't 2 valid name servers that both resolve and answer with
authority, the name doesn't go in the zone.

The problem becomes apparent rather quickly, and the customer is notified
that they need to fix it.

But this is a policy at our registry, as it should be.

Christopher

Home | Date list | Subject list