To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:41:15 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:

> All of this comes from treating name servers as attributes of domains
> rather than objects.  If you think of the name server as an object in
> the registry as opposed to an attribute of SLD.se, then the
> requirement of IP addresses for name server objects within the TLD
> makes more sense.  I realize that some registries today don't take
> this approach, but the fact that it also happens to prevent loops
> like the one I describe above is simply another argument in favor of
> the name-server-as-object approach.

That it how it works in the COM zone, and there it has two effects:

1. If ns.foo.com is nameserver of foo.com, and foo.com is deactivated
(delegation removed) the com zone becomes authoritative for the ns.foo.com
record, which is shouldn't.

2. If foo.com changes servers to dns.foo.com and dns2.foo.com and don't
remove ns.foo.com, the com zone will announce ns.foo.com with an IP
address that could be different from the one in the authoritative zone.

In the com zone, the NS and A records are (or should be) only copies of
what is in the authoritative zone, and we should keep just as much as is
needed for the delegation of that zone.

Loops should be prevented by good management of the holder (or its DNS
operator) not by copying extra data to the com zone.

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29

Home | Date list | Subject list