To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:02:36 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:

> If you are the authoritative registry for a TLD and you don't have
> the IP address of a name server within your TLD, how can the NS's IP
> address possibly be found through a "normal lookup"?

If ns1.foo.com and ns2.foo.com are the nameservers of foo.com then the IP
addresses is a must.

If then ns3.foo.com and ns1.foo.se are the namesevers of bar.com, neither
of the IP addresses are needed (the IP address of ns1.foo.se is forbidden
in com zone). The IP address of ns3.foo.com is to be found in the foo.com
zone through normal lookup.

> The IP address is only a required element for name servers within the
> registry's authoritative TLDs.

The IP address is only needed if the nameserver is the nameserver of its
own zone. That's the strict glue.

If you don't think it works, I'll have to find some exampel from the SE
zone. :-)

Mats

Mats Dufberg                                     +46-8-545 857 06
dufberg@nic-se.se                           fax: +46-8-545 857 29

Home | Date list | Subject list